Photo: Jim Streisel, Carmel HiLite Adviser; Jillian Moore, HiLite Managing Editor, Phil Goodchild, Indiana Friends Committee on Legislation representative, Dr. Tim Phares, Carmel High School principal.
Jillian Moore, Carmel High School senior and managing editor of the HiLite student online publication, is the recipient of a $1,000 first place award in the Indiana Friends Committee on Legislation column writing contest. Moore will attend Northwestern University next year where she will major in journalism and economics.
Others who placed in the contest include:
- Kyle Effner, Cascaade High School (second place)
- Rahul Durai, West Lafayette Jr./Sr. High School (third place)
- Madelynn Wells, Greenwood High School (Honorable Mention)
- Zoe Harris, Ben Davis High School (Honorable Mention)
- Dominnik Williams, Greenwood High School (Honorable Mention).
Second and Third place recipipents received $750 and $500 respectively.
The challenge of the writing assignment was to describe ways Indiana could improve voter participation among 18-24-year-olds.
Moore’s winning entry is available on TheStateehouseFile.com link Remove unnecessary barriers to voting | Commentary | thestatehousefile.com